A key figure in the ‘Stop the Steal’ movement that has fueled protests, conspiracy theories and violence to overturn the outcome of the 2020 presidential election will cooperate with the US Department of Justice in its investigation into the attack on the US Capitol on January 6, 2021.
Ali Alexander – who previously claimed he “conspired” with a group of House Republicans to exert “maximum pressure” on Congress as it met to certify the results of the 2020 presidential election – is the first prominent figure to confirm their cooperation with the government investigation.
In a statement through his lawyer, first reported by The New York Times, Mr. Alexander said a subpoena to appear before a federal grand jury did not state that he was a “target” but sought information about a rally supporting Donald Trump that preceded the attack on the Capitol. This rally was organized by Women For America First.
“I don’t think I have any information that will be useful to them but I am cooperating as best I can by reiterating that I am not a target as I have done nothing wrong,” he said. “I denounce anyone who has planned to subvert my authorized event and the other authorized events of that day on the grounds of the Capitol to organize counterproductive activities.”
A grand jury of federal prosecutors is examining how the rallies that amplified a baseless narrative that the 2020 election was stolen from the former president were funded and organized before escalating into an assault on the halls of Congress in an attempt to stop Joe Biden’s certification. election.
Last year, Mr. Alexander sent hundreds of text messages and other communications with members of Congress and people close to Trump to a separate investigation by a House select committee investigating the attack, according to reports. court documents. In December, he sat for several hours of testimony.
He also sued to stop his phone service provider from providing phone records, revealing in court documents that Verizon was subpoenaed for “nine categories of information associated with Alexander’s personal cell phone number. “.
The documents reveal that he was in contact on January 6 with Kimberly Guilfoyle, the fiancée of Donald Trump Jr who helped organize the Women For America First rally.
“The data sought is not relevant to the investigation and sweeps away privileged communications between Alexander and the clergy, Alexander and those he spiritually counsels, and Alexander and his respective attorneys,” according to the filing.
In the run-up to the 2020 election, Mr Alexander – who rose to prominence among far-right circles following the Tea Party movement before leading election-related conspiracy theorist communities – took part in two events “Stop the Steal” in Washington D.C., in November and December, and at other campaign rallies in other states.
In a since-deleted videoMr Alexander says he spoke with Republican U.S. Representatives Andy Biggs, Mo Brooks and Paul Gosar about potential January 6 events.
“The four of us conspired to exert maximum pressure on Congress as they voted,” he said. “We could change the hearts and minds of the Republicans who were in this body, hearing our loud roar from outside.”
Representatives Biggs and Brooks have repeatedly denied having any ties to Mr. Alexander.
November 6, 2020, Rep Gosar or Arizona said on Twitter that Mr. Alexander was a “true patriot working for America” following a “Stop the Steal” rally in Phoenix.
During the event, Mr Alexander vowed ‘we will shut down this country if need be’ and led a crowd in chants of ‘1776’.
At the same event, Mr. Alexander played a message recorded by Mr. Biggs, who called Mr. Alexander a “friend” and a “hero” before pledging to challenge the voter count in Congress.
“Anyone can guess what I and 500,000 others will do to this building,” Mr. Alexander tweeted in December 202. “1776 is *still* an option.”
In another video filmed during the riots, he said “I don’t disavow that” and “I don’t denounce that”
Mr Alexander, who has since been banned from the platform, has denied any connection to the violence.
“Anyone who suggests that I had anything to do with illegal January 6 activities is wrong,” he wrote to the committee. “They are either wrong or lying.”
“I did nothing wrong and I have no evidence that anyone else intended to commit any unlawful acts,” he said in his statement this week. “I denounce anyone who has planned to subvert my authorized event and the other authorized events of that day on the grounds of the Capitol to organize counterproductive activities.”