US

More than one in four people in Germany have an immigrant background

The number of people with an immigrant background in Germany has reached an all-time high, with more than a quarter of the population, 22.3 million, either originating from a foreign country or having at least one migrant parent in 2021.

According to a micro-census conducted by the Federal Statistical Office (Destatis) in Germany, 27.2% of the country’s population had an immigrant background since last year.

The size of the community with an immigrant background increased to 22.3 million in 2021, from 21.9 million the previous year, an increase of 2%. This is the highest percentage since the first survey was conducted in 2005.

Just over half of people (54%) with an immigrant background were born in the country, with the remaining 46% being people born abroad.

People from other European countries made up the largest proportion of people with an immigrant background, accounting for 13.9 million people, 7.5 million of whom came from European Union countries.

Almost a quarter (23%) or 5.1 million people were described as originating from Asian countries, including 3.5 million from the Middle East. Africans made up about 5%, totaling 1.1 million people.

People from Turkey made up the largest migrant population of any country at 12%, with Poland (10%), Russia (6%), Kazakhstan (6%) and Syria (5%) completing. the first five.

The statistician found that only 1% of people with an immigrant background came from Ukraine, or 308,000 individuals.

However, this figure does not take into account the recent influx of refugees from the country. German police say some 335,000 Ukrainians have arrived in the country since the invasion began, but the real number is likely higher as many are arriving without papers, public broadcaster Deutsche Welle reported.

Even before the war in Ukraine, Europe was already preparing to welcome up to three million Afghan nationals following the disastrous withdrawal of American troops by the Biden administration, leaving the country in the hands of the Islamist Taliban.

By 2040, at least a third of Germany’s population is expected to be of foreign origin, with major cities, such as Frankfurt, potentially seeing up to 70% of their population with an immigrant background.

The head of migrant research at the Federal Institute for Employment Research (IAB), Herbert Brücker, said in 2019: “Currently, around a quarter of the German population has an immigrant background. In 20 years, it will be at least 35%, but it could also be more than 40%.

The migration expert predicted that urban areas will be the main center of demographic change, saying: “In a city like Frankfurt, we will have between 65 and 70 percent,” he added.

Indeed, in 2017, Frankfurt became the first city in Germany to have a minority majority, the natives being populated by those with an immigrant background.

Former Chancellor Angela Merkel’s decision to open the doors to mass migration has not only had disastrous economic consequences, but also an increase in violent crime.

Despite this, the recently installed coalition government led by leftist Chancellor Olaf School has pledged to open up the country to more chain migration.

Follow Kurt Zindulka on Twitter here @KurtZindulka

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.