Meta will charge Metaverse creators a referral fee of up to 47.5%

  • Meta said it was testing tools to allow creators to sell virtual goods in Horizon, its metaverse platform.
  • The company will charge a fee of up to 47.5% of the sale price depending on the location of the sale.
  • A Meta executive said the company’s fees are “a pretty competitive rate.”

Meta will charge creators fees of up to 47.5% to sell virtual goods in its metaverse – far more than what Apple charges developers on its App Store.

In a blog post on Monday, Meta said it was testing virtual sales within its Horizon Worlds metaverse platform. He said creators will be able to sell things like fashion accessories for user avatars and exclusive access to parts of their custom virtual worlds.

Meta and its CEO Mark Zuckerberg have previously criticized Apple for charging developers a 30% fee for in-app purchases through the App Store. Zuckerberg said in a Facebook post in November that Meta was making changes to help metaverse creators evade Apple’s App Store fees.

He said, “As we build for the metaverse, we’re focused on creating opportunities for creators to earn money from their work. The 30% fee Apple takes on transactions makes that harder, so we’re updating our product subscriptions so creators can now earn more.”

Meta charges a 30% platform fee for sales made on Meta Quest, its virtual reality system, formerly known as Oculus. On top of that, Horizon Worlds, Meta’s metaverse system, will charge a 25% selling fee.

This means that Meta will take up to 47.5% of the sale price, leaving the seller with 52.5%.

A Meta spokesperson confirmed to Insider that the calculations were correct.

“If a creator sells an item for $1.00, the Meta Quest Store fee would be $0.30 and the Horizon Platform fee would be $0.17 (25% of the remainder), leaving 0, $53 to the creator before any applicable taxes,” the spokesperson said.

They continued, “Over time, we plan to bring Horizon Worlds to more platforms and therefore platform fees will not always be transferred to Meta. As Horizon Worlds rolls out to more platforms -platforms like mobile, we expect these platforms to charge their own fees. Horizon Worlds fees, which is 25% of the rest, would be applied after all platform fees are applied. relevant material.”

Vivek Sharma, VP of Horizon at Meta, told The Verge, “We think that’s a pretty competitive rate in the market. We believe other platforms can have their share.”

Meta announced in October last year that it was renaming Facebook to focus on social media towards so-called “metaverse” technology – a future vision of the internet accessible through immersive technologies such as virtual reality.

The company said Monday that only a “handful” of creators will test the virtual sales feature at this time. A spokesperson for Meta declined to give exact numbers when asked by Insider.

Meta’s blog on Monday said worldwide sales will be available to users in the United States and Canada over the age of 18.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.