- Johnny Depp called Amber Heard’s 2018 Washington Post op-ed ‘one hell of a story’
- Depp argued it was “clearly” about him, pointing to a part where Heard talks about the plight of women in Hollywood
- The actor said he feels like he’s already lost regardless of the outcome of the trial
Johnny Depp spoke directly to Amber Heard’s op-ed on day two of his testimony.
Depp, 58, spoke again on Wednesday in his libel suit against his ex-wife in a court in Fairfax, Va., and testified under oath that he “never assaulted” Heard.
The ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ star called Heard’s 2018 Washington Post op-ed, in which she wrote about surviving domestic violence, was a “hell story” and claimed he referred to himself even if he did not mention him. by name, Entertainment Weekly reported.
“It was obviously referring to our relationship and me. It was clearly about me,” Depp said, pointing to a section of the article where Heard talked about “the plight of women not just in Hollywood but in general. “.
The award-winning actor said there was a lot in the article he agreed with as he is also against violence.
“I understand anyone’s passion to right the wrongs that have been done for countless years to every being who has suffered from domestic violence, be it women, men or children.” he declared. “It’s something that of course – coming from my background – I’m very much against any intimidation of any human being and forced violence.”
The Golden Globe winner clarified on the first day of his testimony on Tuesday that he hoped to “clear the record” of the allegations against him and was suing his ex-wife because he wanted the truth to come out.
However, on his second day of testimony, Depp said that regardless of the outcome of the trial, he had already lost.
“When the allegations were made [and] quickly circulating the world telling people that I was a drunken, cocaine-fueled menace who suddenly beat up women in their 50s… no matter what the outcome of this lawsuit, the second the allegations were made against me [and] turned into fodder for the media… I lost then,” Depp said on the stand.
He continued: “I lost because it’s not something no one is. [going to] put on the back for a short period of time. I will live with this for the rest of my life. Due to the allegations [and] because it was such a high profile case, I lost then, regardless of the outcome of the trial… It was never supposed to happen, and I don’t quite understand why it happened the way it did.
Depp and Heard separated in May 2016, when she filed for a domestic violence restraining order against him, accusing him of abusing her. The actor denied the allegations and the former couple settled their divorce in August 2016.
Depp is suing Heard for $50 million over his 2018 op-ed, alleging “fabricated” domestic violence allegations ruined his career. Disney pulled the actor from his starring role as Captain Jack Sparrow in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise four days after Heard’s op-ed was published.
Heard had failed in his attempts to have Depp’s lawsuit thrown out. She filed a $100 million defamation countersuit against the actor in 2020, which is ongoing.
© Copyright IBTimes 2022. All rights reserved.