- You can download a Twitter Space audio file by requesting an archive of your Twitter data.
- Twitter Space is a public forum for live audio conversations; these conversations can be recorded and saved.
- Recording for a Twitter Space is disabled by default, so you must enable recording when you start your Space.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference Library for more stories.
Much like the audio-focused social media platform Clubhouse, Twitter Spaces are live audio-only conversations. Twitter Spaces are not necessarily ephemeral; you have the option to save a Space if you want to keep the activity. Here’s how to save a space and then download the audio file to your computer or share it with others.
How to Record and Share a Twitter Space Audio Recording
By default, Twitter Spaces are unrecorded — you must enable recording when you start a Space. When the space ends, you can share a link to the recording via tweet or DM. But you can also save the audio file.
1. In the Twitter app for iOS or Android, start a Twitter Space in the usual way. Tap and hold plus sign then press the Space out icon.
2. Name your space and add topics if desired, then enable Recording space by sliding the button to the right. If necessary, read the details about registering your space and press I get it.
3. When ready, press Start now and host your Space.
4. At the end of your space, press To finish at the top right of the Space out window, then tap Yes, end to confirm.
5. In the recording pop-up window, you have the option to change the start time of your recording (handy for eliminating dead air before the conversation starts). Press the three dot menu and choose Change start time. Then listen to the recording and position the slide bar at the bottom of the window where you want to start recording. When you are happy with the start time, press Set start time above the cursor.
6. Faucet To share then choose how to send a link to the recording to others – you can send a DM, tweet a link or send it in another way, for example by SMS.
How to download a Twitter Space audio recording
If you want to download your audio rather than just having a link to the audio, you can do so by requesting an archive of your Twitter data using the Twitter mobile app or website in a browser.
1. Press your profile icon in the top left corner on mobile, or click the Continued… on the left side of the desktop website, then choose Settings and privacy.
2. Click or tap Your account then click or tap Download an archive of your data.
3. If you do so from a web browser, you will receive confirmation that the request has been received and it may take up to 24 hours for the data to be received. On the mobile app, you will need to log in to your phone’s mobile browser to complete the application.
4. In a day or two you will receive a Twitter notification with a link to download the archived data. Download the ZIP file to your computer and locate the audio file in the Data/Media_Spaces case.