- Alex Jones contacted the DOJ regarding a possible interview about his role on January 6, 2021.
- The New York Times reported that the InfoWars host sent the government a letter indicating a “desire” to speak.
- The DOJ expanded the investigation to include planning for the rally that preceded the riot.
Far-right talk show host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has indicated his willingness to sit down for an interview with federal prosecutors leading the Justice Department’s expanded investigation into the riot and rally of the Capitol on January 6, according to the New York Times.
In a statement via his attorney, Jones said he sent the government an official letter communicating his “desire” to speak to investigators about his role in the rally that preceded the riot, the outlet reported.
The InfoWars host helped plan and fund the “Stop the Steal” rally on January 6, 2021 and gave an impassioned speech encouraging the crowd of Trump supporters to march to the Capitol.
“We are here to peacefully take back our rightful country, because we are not globalist and antifa criminals,” Jones told the crowd at the rally. “So let’s start walking, and I salute you all.”
Norm Pattis, an attorney for Jones, claimed his client had committed no “criminal act” that day, the Times reported. Pattis did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
The Justice Department’s Jan. 6 investigation previously focused primarily on rioters who stormed the Capitol in an effort to block Congressional certification of President Joe Biden’s victory. But last month, the department expanded the investigation to include planning for former President Donald Trump’s rally before the riot.
A federal grand jury is now seeking information from several people related to the rallies and Trump’s efforts to overturn the election results.
At the “Stop the Steal” event, held a few blocks from the US Capitol, Trump urged his supporters to “fight like hell” and march on the Capitol. Hundreds of protesters then besieged the Capitol in an attack that ultimately left five people dead.
The Justice Department investigation is occurring concurrently with a congressional probe into the attack, in which lawmakers have issued dozens of subpoenas aimed at linking members of Trump’s inner circle to the rioters.
In December, Jones sued the House Select Committee, in an attempt to avoid turning over documents for a deposition. When he finally testified before the panel earlier this year, Jones invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination nearly 100 times.
Jones’ apparent change of heart comes two weeks after another high-profile rally organizer, Ali Alexander, said he was cooperating with the Justice Department investigation after receiving a subpoena from a federal grand jury.
As a condition of being questioned, Jones requested immunity from prosecution, The Times reported.
“He distrusts the government,” Pattis told the outlet.
Earlier this month, Jones’ far-right InfoWars website and two other sites affiliated with it filed for bankruptcy as the talk show host faces a slew of libel lawsuits from the from relatives of victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook Massacre in Newtown, Connecticut.
A lawyer for the families told Insider’s Kieran Press-Reynolds that Jones’ filing for bankruptcy was intended as a blocking technique.